Pages

23 September 2011

Graphics driver problems with Ubuntu

Graphics driver problem is not new to Linux users. The graphics card manufacturers does not provide information about their hardware, so open source community can not develop drivers for graphics hardware. Some open source driver may be available but most of the cases they are full of bugs. Here comes proprietary drivers. These drivers are closed source and provided by the manufacturers.


In my Dell Inspiron I have a ATI graphics card. After I installed ubuntu on my laptop, I could not enable graphics effects. So, I had to install proprietary fglrx driver. It is very easy in ubuntu. Go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers/Additional Drivers. In 10.10 and above the option is called Additional Drivers. Here you will find available proprietary drives for your computer. In my laptop it looks like this:

After installing you may have to reboot your computer. Now, you can enable different graphics property like animations, effects etc.

There is also a ppa for latest graphics updates which may not be available on standard ubuntu repository. To enable the ppa go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment